Sunday, March 09, 2008

Month Twenty-Two

The last month was mentally brutal. I just took on a task that is rather overwhelming in scope: take people who have never touched a projector before and make them at the very least competent. I've done this before, on a smaller scale. But this time it's about 25-30 people at 4 different theatres (all run by union projectionists), on top of my other duties at my home theatre.

The travel is what does me in. It's 2 1/2 hours to Staten Island by mass transit from where I live. That's 5 hours in a day totally dedicated to travel. The theatre in Brooklyn takes 2 hours (4 total). Then you have to sit through person after person making mistake after mistake. It all starts feeling worthwhile when they start to get it...but then you realize that there's so much more to go after that. Plus, none of these people are going to get a chance to actually run a projection shift for awhile...this makes the training tougher since there's not a mindset. It's a task to be done with no purpose at this point.

Whether this would amount to any hike in pay? I'm working on it.

And that's the update, really. This has been the occupier of my time. Hope that I am showered with love and affection for it in the future. I'm going to need it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home