Tuesday, September 09, 2008

A Few Thoughts

So far, this election has been pretty much a referendum on Obama, which is why most of my thoughts have been centered on him. My main fears (and yes, he makes me quite afraid), on top of having no idea how he would govern, are whom he associates with.

We all know, after it was finally too big to ignore, that he followed the awful pastor Jeremiah Wright. He has gifted himself, Jim Baker like, a seven-figure home built buy his own church, and has perhaps ruined a marriage of a woman that he's had an affair with. That's way over the top, and much worse than anyone McCain or Palin have associated with.

The next guy is Ayers, whom only Hillary has even mentioned. He was a terrorist from the Weather Underground who thinks they didn't go far enough. Here's more about him, including a bit about Obama. On this, I would need to learn more, but that's a part of the problem. The media have not looked into it. Maybe they're trying to find someone in Wasilla who heard Palin say a swear word one day or something horrible.

And the third is Rezko, who helped him buy his house just before being convicted for a felony. And no, most people don't know these names, because the press have no desire to report on them.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now to the other topic. I have a nasty, visceral reaction to hearing him speak. I am afraid of any politician who can speak like he can. I happen to strongly disagree with much of what he's saying - that the country is in bad shape or whatever - but I can't really blame him for bringing up topics that aren't easily disproven without finding certain economic papers. It's popular. But the love for the guy... it needs to be tempered. He's a politician, and one from Chicago at that, created and formed from that horrible political machine. Be careful what you make him out to be.

And now Palin has happened... and the right wing has its own Obama. Dems, you know that feeling of hate you feel for her? That's what I've felt for Obama from the first moment I heard him speak. I would ask that insults to her accent are stopped, because I think that's pretty damn close to being racist, but just some understanding past that would be acceptable. No woman like this has ever graced the world stage before, and I've known plenty like her. It's fantastic they have a representative.

I've been thinking the past several days after I felt such incredibly strong emotions during Palin's speech in Minneapolis. We really don't understand each other here. I have no idea why anyone would think Obama could be a great leader, and I have no idea how someone could truly hate a woman like Palin. So somebody learn me somethin' here; what am I missing about Obama? I would really like to hear. Let's make this something positive before something awful happens; emotions are getting pretty high.

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 9/10/2008 12:20:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

Well, certainly some things to chew on. I'm not sure I'm all that concerned about his past associations, especially since nearly everyone on the planet who makes contacts/friends is going to have a few who are linked to shady stuff. The question is, are the people with shady associations also shady?

I'm not sure what you mean by his speaking...is it annoying because he talks eloquently without saying much, or does it just creep you out on some other level?

Also, I'm searching for a little clarity on your last paragraph...a little vague.

I'd like to see these economic papers, and what their sources are that state we are actually living in better times than much of the media thinks we are (and believe me, I'm not a big fan of the media on the whole). What do we make of all the stuff happening with mortgages, job loss, and energy costs?

After watching Lou Dobbs last night, I'm beginning to wonder what the real agenda, overall, is of both candidates. There's just too much BS flying around. I just want proof and stuff that matters.

 
At 9/10/2008 01:05:00 AM, Blogger Mike said...

I hear you; that wasn't the best written thing, but I was just throwing out thoughts. The thing about the associations is that they aren't in the past; they are very current.

His speaking just creeps me out, like a leader from a less free state. And people buy it so heavily, like he's a Messiah or something. Do you have some idea of what I'm talking about? He doesn't seem to much like this country. But now Palin supporters are doing some of the same things, and it's starting to get to me as well, even though I really like Palin.

I'll post more in the future about the ecomony, when I have a bit of time. I will say that 6.1% unemployment is historically pretty good, with GDP maybe on the rebound with the second quarter at 3%. We'll see about the future, but currently we're pretty strong. Yes, it's slipping, but we've gone from freaking awesome to pretty average. And it frustrates me that nobody knows that. Let's hope we don't get much worse.

I'm just not happy with the state of either side today. The emotions that I'm seeing on both sides of the aisle are incredibly strong, and usually not rational. Nobody wants to debate the facts, just defend their own side. We are really far apart on this, approaching a fundamentalist's zeal, and I don't think that's healthy for a nation. I am afraid that some idiot's going to do something stupid to one of the candidates, if not in this election, then the next one. Hopefully I'm overreacting a bit, but it's starting to get ugly.

 
At 9/11/2008 01:07:00 PM, Blogger Kennelworthy said...

I'm with Mike on the whole "speaking creeps me out" thing. I have gotten this vibe for a long, long time.

I guess I want my president to be an eloquent speaker. But when all the eloquent speaking comes at campaign stops and as part of a calculated political agenda... it's even harder for me.

I suppose that public speaking ability has nothing directly to do with a person's ability to lead. But the Obama campaign has always seemed to me to be basically saying, "Look how eloquent our guy is, you should love him." And the specifics are lost in that message.

And instead of talking about his experience and his actual plans... we just get more rhetoric. Brilliantly delivered rhetoric, sure. But rhetoric nonetheless.

You don't hold your convention in an 80,000-seat NFL stadium unless you're purposefully trading on how much of a rock star your candidate is.

It's the same cult of personality stuff that bothers me with mega church pastors and televangelists. It feels like acting.

I'm sure it's just my reaction to it, and that not everyone feels that way. But I felt the same way with Clinton. People say Gore lost because he was boring, and maybe that is true, but I never got that whole "fake" vibe with him at least.

The real problem, of course, is that no candidate can be real. Everything has to be part of a carefully orchestrated ballet. Where they speak, what they say, who they pick as a running mate, how their logo looks... it's all something some marketing person suggested would be good for the perception of that candidate. So we're forcing them all to act... to censor themselves and follow some script.

If campaigns were movies, Obama would win an Oscar and McCain would go straight to DVD. But if they were documentaries... Obama would be called "too slick... not real enough."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home