Wednesday, July 30, 2003

OK, I have a few more movies to go over.

AMERICAN WEDDING: The 3rd of the American Pie series, and certainly if you didn't like those movies you won't like this. The same formula applies: begin the movie with an over-the-top embarassing moment for Jim that will be witnessed by his father, then have characters discuss what's next in their lives, begin that journey, throw in a bunch of physical comedy gags and more embarassing and/or gross-out situations, more discussion, resolve. This movie should have been called STIFLER GROWS UP because the movie is about Stifler more than anything. They know who the money character is and they milk him. Sean William Scott, who I have yet to assess as an actor because he is typecast (and the latest typecasting will be "action hero's foil" when he plays opposite The Rock in THE RUNDOWN after playing alongside Chow-Yun Fat in BULLETPROOF MONK) as Stifler. He's way over the top at first, but then he gradually warms back into the role, and thank God because he provides a bulk of the laughs. This movie is the very definition of "uneven." And there's a horribly botched scene involving a bachelor party that gets interrupted by unsuspecting Jim and future in-laws. But it does have moments.

MAN ON THE TRAIN: A thief takes residence in an old man's home as a resting spot while planning his next heist, and the two suddenly envy each others' lives in some very good conversations leading up to the big day. It's definitely an engrossing movie, and I recommend it, but I have the feeling that I don't need to watch it again.

SPELLBOUND: This documentary comes with a lot of acclaim, and deservedly so for its tense spelling bee moments. It also has you follow eight different kids who all have underdog characters, who all work hard in their own way, who are all devastating to watch lose (although one of them does become the champ). Good, good stuff, and you'll be trying to spell the words and cringe when you don't think they've got it right, and wonder in amazement when they actually DO have it right, and you were wrong, and then after all that wonder how in the world they misspell anything.

Onward, there was a previous post from Jonathan about the TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE remake. This is one of the best trailers being shown right now, and it looks like they cut out the annoying wheelchair guy character, who was the worst part of the movie, and mercifully gets murdered (I take it that was the point of the original, but aren't you supposed to NOT want someone to die?) The original did not live up to what I perceive as my generation's hype, but it had some moments, and the finale is one of the most disturbing, battered-senses sendoffs I've ever seen. The remake has Jessica Biel (who I hope gets naked...in my room), and although you can never tell how a movie is going to play strictly by its trailer, I'm looking forward to it.

Fantasy football: I was looking at the pre-rankings and said to myself, "Man, I don't like ANYBODY on this list." The way the NFL is, good players could become bad, and vice-versa, due to the surrounding personnel that gets shifted every year. Plus, Priest Holmes is #1 on the pre-selected rankings, but is he even healthy? I thought he sustained a long-term injury towards the end of last year. I realize that they rank according to value, but is he even playing? And all those Rams guys who got hurt last year, they could once again be an offensive juggernaut, but they all get hurt all the time, and defenses have figured them out, and Mike Martz is their coach, but all of that means nothing really.

Mike, who do you think should be the next Reds manager, using your criteria? I mean, you could get Davey Johnson again unless he just doesn't want to coach anymore, but I'm kind of jaded about "managers with winning experience" as Mike Scioscia just won the World Series after a couple of years being an unproven manager, and looking at what Tony Pena is doing with the Royals. I think you've got to get a well-versed baseball guy, regardless of whether he's managed before. And someone who doesn't look at baseball as a game where everyone on the field can achieve the same things Ted Williams did. But really, what could Boone have done with that pitching that was in Cincy? And the never-give-up attitude that has been so well-documented this year with 12 final at-bat wins has to mean something. I'm not saying Boone was great, I'm not really saying anything, because I didn't witness it firsthand for lots of games.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home