Wednesday, December 03, 2003

I agree, Chris. I have no idea how A BEAUTIFUL MIND got to be such a loved film. I don't remember much about it, except that I left very underwhelmed. I seem to remember it being way too sentimental and melodramatic, or something like that. I guess the most damming thing is that I can't remember much about it.
But the book is great. There are a NUMBER of differences in the book and the movie. The most striking for me was the moment in the film where he realizes the imaginary girl never grows up, and so he knows they're not real. Not in the book. And they left out the truly insane stuff, such as renouncing his U.S. citizenship to be a communist or something, and crowning himself the King of Antarctica. He thought there was a great organization out to take over the world. Later on, when he won the nobel, a lot of people weren't happy about it, especially because of his anti-jewish remarks he'd made earlier in life. The movie sugarcoated an incredible, bizarre life.

I've enjoyed the off-season, as I've gotten to see the Reds make some bold, incredible moves. Such as saying they aren't going to make any trades, and taking weeks and weeks to name a manager. What's the over/under on free agent signing? Zero? Boy, hope springs eternal!

Somehow, someway, I feel this. Schilling-Red Sox.... it'll all end in tears.

It's hard to say the Yanks keep making mistakes when it's not like they've been terrible the past couple of years, but they've missed what made them so good in '98. That was a TEAM, not a group of individual superstars. It takes good talent at every position, not just a team thrown together. You get the feeling that Cashman may know this, but the Boss does not. George is going nuts, and I hope this team falls apart so we can watch his head explode.

I'm glad Boone re-signed with the Yanks. He's good. I somehow wonder if he would been given an offer if he hadn't hit that home run. I hope he has a great April so everyone can see how good he can be, and do it in NY. I was almost cheering for the Yanks to win it all last year so he could have a ring. Almost.

Did you almost feel that Titans loss coming on? I didn't get to watch MNF, but I did see the two games prior, and they just weren't that good. No worries, really, as this sort of thing happens mid-season. And the Atlanta win was a good one, as they came back from a big deficit, and we saw that Volek can really play. I'm almost glad that they lost, because it could be the proverbial wake-up call that good teams sometimes need. We'll see. I don't think there will be a let-down this week as they get up for the big games, and they'll beat the Colts by less than ten points. Can't wait to see it!

Why can't we just be sane and civil and do one of the following. Either just award the championship to Oklahoma right now, or have USC play LSU and the winner take on OU. Why not? Call the USC-LSU game the Orange Bowl if you have to, and then watch the money pour in with incredible ratings. Who wouldn't love to see that? The unimaginative NCAA, that's who. Bunch of communists. Probably likes Pepsi, too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home