Friday, July 23, 2004

I was reading some past posts with interest because the adaptation of Ray Bradbury's "Sound of Thunder" is being made into a movie. I had mentioned this story when I reviewed THE BUTTERFLY EFFECT (Jan. 27, '04) earlier this year, and later brought up the same concerns with 13 GOING ON 30 (Apr.10, '04) and TIMELINE (Nov.25, '03). I read "Sound of Thunder" when I was 14 and I thought it genius, because I believe the problems of time travel are accurately portrayed. I have recently seen the trailer for the upcoming movie, and it looks like they're going to, of course, make it Hollywood. Since the story ended on a chilling note, I'm sure the movie will extrapolate ideas from that to make it a feature-length, conflict-filled sci-fi actioner with either a happy ending or the biggest craze, the ambiguous note. To sum up a short story, scientists go back in time with the rule of not disturbing anything while they study the past, only to return to find the Soviets running the United States, as a scientist looks at his shoe to find out he stepped on a butterfly. These are the type things that come with me into time-travel films nowadays, because I believe the minute changes would cause a greater difference than is shown (BACK TO THE FUTURE, for instance, although one of my favorite movies of all time, suggests that only the people you want to affect are affected. It never considers, and of course it's a comedy and doesn't have these kind of heady matters at heart, that unwanted changes might occur as well). I'm looking forward to seeing if that hack Peter Hyams can make this into something worthwhile.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home