Saturday, September 25, 2004

Musings of a tired traveler

Back just this morning, drove all night from Chicago. Ugh. Slept until now, so I'm still a little groggy, but anxious to blog once again.

-Mixed feelings seeing that picture of Vokoun. Great to see him playing (hell, I'll always be a huge fan of his, regardless of where he plays). But just a visual smack to my Preds-fan face seeing our guy in another pro team's net. It's all well and good to think about "no hockey" and such, but to see photos like this one cuts a little deeper. Go on, Tommy, kick-ass. It's not your fault. We'll need you fresh and in top form in case the miracle happens and we get to keep our team.

-Did you all see where the Kings owner called the players' rep a "bald-faced liar" and said the lockout would last all year? Yeah, he's been fined heavily by Bettman for that little crossing of the party line. Gotta think, though, that he was fined because he said the truth, and Bettman's still trying to create the PR notion that they'll work things out (as opposed to the fine meaning that his views are unique). Thoughts?

-"Lost" may be the best pilot I've ever seen. From minute one I was gripped. I've been mulling a huge post about the show and why everyone should be watching it, but I'm just too darned tired to say much more than...."this show freaking rocks." It can go anywhere it chooses, and I for one will be along for the ride. I can only hope folks tuning in to Lost find it as gripping as I do and will maybe be inspired to finally check out Alias (which is one of the best shows around, and a personal favorite, though it struggles constantly with ratings). Anyone catch it?

-"The Wire" is back on HBO. Don't be fooled by reviews that tell you how hard it is to pick-up if you've never watched it. Granted it's hard--ask Chris, who picked it up in Season Two--but it is so freaking worth it. It really is a novel on screen. Let it soak, and you'll find a richness no other show can deliver. Chris must have watched at least 6 episodes last season before getting hooked. But I remember with vivid recall how hooked he became once they had him on the line. My very favorite tv show ever. The DVD for Season One comes out October 12th, so it's easy to catch up now. If you've ever watched Law and Order, Homicide, NYPD Blue, Boomtown, CSI, the movie Traffic, or any cop-related show and like it....you're missing Nirvana here with this program. Thoughts?

-Fantasy football. I suck at it. I hate sucking at things. But, man, do I love football.

-Someone's stealing from me. Either a random hacker who grabbed my info. off the net, or a company I owe money to that no longer has permission to withdraw from my account. I'm not sure which, but either way I'm more than a grand in the hole now. Affidavids will be filled out Monday morning as the bank begins to try and get me my moolah back. Regardless of that thing's outcome...I'm still up a freaking creek for the current time being...which is unfortunate. Raman noodles here I come.

-Weddings are fun for people related to the couple, friends of the couple, and people in love. For everyone else, they are mostly I chore i think. That's just my observation from this weekend. I had fun. But of course I'm friends with the couple, and was there with my girlfriend. Saw a lot of people who seemed to slip further into depression right before my eyes.

-Absolutely love the notion of an L&N Line hockey outing. I'm definitely going to see the Admirals, so count me in. That'll be a lot of fun, and really cheap too. Tootoo will be there, and so will I.

-Glad to see Jason at the Den isn't holding grudges any more than we are. Seems the dust has cleared and we'll be able to blog and discuss and commiserate with him. I have decided my next response to anyone I perceive as attacking me will be to just say, "whatever." Unless it's Chris, and then it's freaking on. That guy's fair game. Except that we almost never disagree, he and I.

-Must eat now. And then sleep more. I'm anxious to get back to blogging up a storm. Good to be back in the internet access. Hope you guys are well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home