Friday, November 19, 2004

Television's New Doctor

Okay, I just finished watching the new Fox show, House. They graciously re-ran the premiere tonight for those of us who didn't see it the first time (and who don't subscribe to Entertainment Weekly, which apparently mailed a recent issue with a DVD of this fine show's first episode).

On the surface it might appear to you, as it did to me before I saw it, to be another in a long line of the so-called "procedural dramas" that have plagued us ever since CSI became a hit. Show after show, we've been bombarded with cameras zooming into bodies through the throat or ear to show us the wonder of what's really going on inside the body. And you know what? This show has them too. But it has a lot more than that. In fact, if I were pressed to pick something I didn't like about the premiere episode of House, it would be that other shows used this fancy Asimovian camera trick first. Everything else about this show sets it apart from CSI, from NCIS, from Medical Investigations, etc.

It starts, as all good shows do, with an intriguing character... and Dr. House is definitely that. From the very first scene I was fascinated by Hugh Laurie's portrayal of the reclusive doc. He's created one of the most interesting characters I've seen on television in a long time. He's curt, he breaks rules, he ditches work to watch General Hospital, he "prescribes" vending machine candy to a hypochondriac passing the candies off as pills, he walks with a cane, he pops pain killers, he's rude, and from all appearances.... he's brilliant.

Dr. House's first rule of medicine is to never talk to patients because, as he says, "People lie." His greatest asset in diagnosis is basically pure conjecture. He guesses, and even treats patients based on these guesses to at the very least check a possible cause for the problem off the list. If I were talking about Lost's best quality it would be character development, and this show has a main character who is immediately more appealing and appalling than anyone stranded on that island.

On his staff there are four young doctors, each with a specialty such as neurology or infectious diseases. One of these docs is Omar Epps, an actor I've always thought was a little better than the movies and roles he chose. Robert Sean Leonard, of Dead Poets fame, is another. There's another guy I hadn't seen before, and also a hot girl. House's boss is the call girl Rob Lowe's Sam Seaborn slept with accidently on the premiere episode of The West Wing (she was in many episodes that first season). His first patient is Robin Tunney, who you might remember from The Craft, or Empire Records, or End of Days.

I guess short of giving you an episode recap (go to Television Without Pity for that) there's not much else to say. I could be alone-ish here, but this is a show that works, at least in its opener. Credit for this goes to the writer who dreamt up the character, House, and the actor who plays him. Clearly this show's success will depend on how many people buy the character and find him interesting. After this episode, though, I'd be suspicious of anyone who said they weren't intrigued by him. Laurie shows a range Stuart Little didn't afford him the opportunity to flex. As the show progresses, it won't matter what the medical dilema is week to week, or who guest stars as his patient, it won't be the number of times the camera zips into a body, it will instead be House carrying this show. And with that premise...I'm on board.

Sheesh, like I need another great show to watch this season: Lost, The Wire, Simpsons, and soon Alias and 24 return!

Ps-I read a lot of Robert Bianco's work at USAToday. He's their television reviewer/analyst, and I have found his taste to be eerliy similar to mine. He championed shows like Buffy and Angel at a time when I felt I was the only one seeing their greatness. He loves Lost and Alias and 24 and The Wire. If you're like me, and these shows are up your alley, you may want to check him out, because he's the one who turned me on to House. Maybe I should send him a thank you note.

2 Comments:

At 11/19/2004 09:45:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I also saw this episode, and this guy Hugh Laurie who plays House is great. I especially liked the conversation with the woman at the end, saying she was hired on her looks, and brought into question why she would be surprised by that.

 
At 11/20/2004 11:39:00 AM, Blogger Kevin Rector said...

I caught snippits of the show and thought the main character was quite compelling. I'm not sure if it will be enough to carry the show for a long time, but it might be.

I particually liked the argument that he had with his boss, he was yelling at her and she said, "why don't you quit with the yelling. What's that supposed to do scare me? What am I afraid of, more yelling? That's not scary. That you might hurt me... that'd be scary. But I'm pretty sure I could outrun you." It was delivered perfectly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home