Tuesday, March 15, 2005

China: Day 10

Day 10 was interesting and over-whelming, as all the other days. I'm going to need a vacation after this one. Hopefully I'll get one someday...

To start the day, we got a briefing from a local gov't organization, telling us about the city. I tried and somewhat failed to pay attention, but the tea was good (a common theme here). I asked a question about mass transportation, which is critically lacking. They said they only had 100 km of subway in the city! A critical lack in a the fifth largest city in the world. It takes an hour to get anywhere. They have plans to increase to 400km, thankfully.

Then, a trip to some university, whose name I've forgotten. The best in the city, I believe. They have close ties with MIT and Washington U., but the students I spoke to in MBA programs did not know about Venture Capital or Financial Planning. I am going to send them some more information when I get the time. There is so much more for them to know! They hadn't even heard of the Kentucky Derby, a most grievous oversight. They are going to be at the front end of this cities growth, and I hope I can help them.

Then, at night, a spetacular night boat on the river, looking at the famous Bund and the incredible buildings downtown. Everywhere there is color and light, but you can't help but feel that it is somewhat empty - like they have the buildings but not the success that should be behind it. Still, a wonderful ride, and I got 12 postcards for just over a dollar to prove it.

Another good day. I'm beat again. More tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home