Sunday, February 05, 2006

Post Game Reaction - Bad Play Calling = Bad Football

In many ways that was the worst superbowl I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few stinkers. I'm not a fan of either team, and besides hoping my pick was right (Seahawks; it wasn't) who won was not a big deal to me. I really just wanted to see a good game, and we didn't. I've never once in my life actually thought officials were getting paid by one of the organizations on the field, but after some of these calls, I had to wonder, at least a little bit.

The Seahawks had a ridiculous offensive pass interference call that cost them a touchdown. Rothlesiberger was given a touchdown that he never should have had. What should have gone down as one of the greatest goalline stops turned into 7 points for the Steelers. Even the little things the officials called bugged the hell out of me. Pittsburgh did not get a time out called before their clock ran down. It's a little thing that probably means nothing in the long run, but it's still annoying.

I'm not saying the Seahawks couldn't have done anything here. Brown missed two field goals he should have hit; Hasslebeck threw a costly interception. They dominated the first half, and could only get three points on the board. And even if the two questionable touchdowns had been called right, the Steelers very well might have still won.

But even a Steelers diehard must look at this game and be a little dissapointed at how the points got on the board. You shouldn't feel good about this win at all. And Mike predicted it right; the Superbowl would just add on to what is the worst postseason in football that I've ever seen. Congrats to the Steelers for having to win four away games to get the championship, and I am by no means saying they didn't deserve to be there; I just wish there had been some better playcalling, and this would have been a much better game.

4 Comments:

At 2/05/2006 11:12:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

By rule, both touchdown calls were correct, even though I don't totally agree with the way the rules are on some of these things.

For instance, the pass interference call, in "my" NFL, wouldn't have been called. To the extent of the rule, though, it's pass interference.

The Roethlisberger TD was also debateable, but so close that the call on the field, whatever it was going to be, was going to stand. I didn't think he got in, and I'm always conscious that the angles we get are not absolutely straight. If it was right down the line, we would have had the evidence. As it was, both end zone camera angles were slightly from the front of the play, meaning our 3-D eyes weren't registering the 2-D images correctly. But that play was so close, a butterfly could have flapped its wings in China and it would have affected the outcome.

What the Seahawks did poorly, and cost them a chance, was manage the clock. In both halves. Nobody was aware of a game clock it seemed. With 8 minutes left in the 4th Quarter and down by 11 points, there was no sense of urgency. And there especially wasn't a sense of urgency when there was 2 minutes left, throwing out passes to the sideline for minimal/no gain, when you need large chunks. This kind of clock management should get coaches fired, but it seems like no one bats an eye.

 
At 2/06/2006 08:15:00 AM, Blogger Jade said...

This was the first superbowl I've ever gotten into. I'm from new england but just never really cared much about the pats. I've been forced to watch two or three games they were in, but last night was the first time I watched without as much complaining.

I was routing for the seahawks. No particular reason... better uniforms? Eh, whatever.

Anyway, here's what I don't get.... There were at least three or four bad calls. And I can ALMOST understand where they came from in the rules and whatnot. But the one I TOTALLY don't get is that touchdown they took away because..... the seahawks player "touched" the other player?? Someone please explain this to me. Is this not football, a violent sport second only to hockey?

Anyway, it was an okay game besides that. Who knows. Maybe I'll even watch again next year.

 
At 2/06/2006 09:18:00 AM, Blogger Chris said...

That "touch" was considered a "push-off," which it definitely wasn't. But the guy had his arms extended and it looked like he got away with something. I don't like it either.

 
At 2/06/2006 02:58:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

Like I said the Seahawks played a pretty piss poor game even in that first twenty minutes or so where they controlled the ball for about 95% of that time. And even if all these calls went the way I think they should have, the Steelers still could have won that game, no question.

Another ridiculous penalty that was called was the low block on Matt Hasslebeck; most people refer to that as a tackle, but maybe that's not allowed in football anymore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home