Wednesday, September 17, 2003

Chris, I'm not really sure how George can automatically be declared the winner. If you want to go by running backs, you have two good ones, tjmom (my stepmother) has three of the top ones and Jocats has two top ones plus Trung Candidate. And on top of that, I have Clinton Portis, who we all know we'll be the top running back at the end of the season. I think it's still up in the air, and you my friend are most definately still in it.

Saw a couple of movies last weekend, and I thought I would comment on them.

ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO (*)
What we have here is a hell of a performance by Johnny Depp (a great follow up to "Pirates of the Carribean") and absolutely nothing else. Depp's performance actually made me think I was liking this movie for awhile, and then I realized that everything surrounding him is so stupid. Robert Rodriquez is actually commended for his ability to get a film done so quickly, well, maybe he should slow down. This script feels like it's a first draft written in about a day and half. Rewriting is perfectly fine in this business; I wish Robert Rodriquez would take note of that. They are all going for a Sergio Leone feel here; the title is a direct homage to Leone's "Once Upon a Time in the West." But Antonio Banderas is no Clint Eastwood, and considering he's probably only in about fifteen minutes of the film, he's not really given the chance to prove otherwise. The action is all over the place, and therefore uninteresting. After Depp, the rest of the peformances have no energy to them whatsoever. The bad guys aren't scary or menacing. There's just nothing here; not a story, not a plot, and most definately not a movie. But if Depp doesn't steal every scene he's in and still manage a hell of a performance. I might still buy this movie just to watch his scenes.

JEEPERS CREEPERS 2 (**)
I actually saw these two back to back. And I never would have thought that when I went into "Jeepers Creepers 2" I'd be watching the better of the two. I thought the first film got off to a great start and then fell completely apart at about the forty-five minute mark with stupid cops and psychics galore, not to mention obvious metaphors, the worst kind. This one however never really gets off to a great start, but it doesn't really fall apart either. The creature is utilized quite a bit more, and it is pretty scary. The teenagers arent' quite as dumb as you would think they would be, and Ray Wise is a lot of fun as a man out for revenge of the death of his son. It's a so-so monster movie, and in the end just not scary enough. I don't really know why the movie was even made, but at the same time, I didn't really feel like I had wasted my time watching it. Do with that what you will.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home