Sunday, March 20, 2005

Back From China

Back in L'ville, and I've got a million stories to tell. How wonderful it is to have a full internet connection again so I can write all I want! I couldn't get to any blogspot.com addresses for the entire trip. I could get to Instapundit and PowerLineBlog, as well as my hotmail and gmail accounts. Access was slower than 56k, so I generally could only check my email each day, and write a bit for the blog. The entries were short because I had little time, and was paying by time spent in both hotels we stayed at. I only today heard that most of the internet cafes were shut down last year, and I can report that I did not see one open in either Beijing or Shanghai.

I'm going to collapse into the comforts of home (finally!), but I have to put in one quick thought. As you may have guessed, the Taiwan story was of interest in China, but we got a very one sided. Here's where you can get China Daily, your English speaking Chinese daily newspaper propaganda. It spoke of the great idea that the Anti-Secession Law is, of course, and quoted several people saying so. One television, they had many shows that resembled Univision, but English speakers were generally only given the option of sports. There was an exception with one show that spoke of the greatness of the Anti-Secession Law. In Beijing, we did get CNN International, which was nice, but I've heard that they blocked it out when the Law was international news (I can't confirm this). Most of our group went unaware of what was happening.

If you're a casual reader of the blog, please check in in the next weeks, as I plan to post pictures and write more on my experiences. Feel free to ask any questions via the comment section. I'll be happy to answer.

1 Comments:

At 3/20/2005 08:54:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

I will say this, although it's not really all that important...just amusing. I remember when a running joke in high school was that you wrote for "The Simpsons" since it seemed like very many things we'd say would end up on an episode. Or the joke was that at least one of us was secretly providing material...or something. I kid you not, "The Simpsons" last Sunday had an episode where the family went to China. It was nostalgic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home