Friday, January 12, 2007

Month Eight

One big thing that has slowly begun to annoy me on mass transit are the people who eat food on the bus or subway. It doesn't even have to make a loud noise to bother me, but when it does it sends me into a controlled frenzy. I say controlled because what I want to do is bark at the people digging into their bag of chips, with that crackling bag sound, followed by the hard crunch of a Dorito or two, and say, "You gotta' be kiddin' me," before punching them in the face. Logically, I would be considered The Hero of Mass Transit, as I picture it, held aloft by my fellow riders.

There are variations of people who bother me the most. One guy brought his Dunkin Donuts bag on the bus, sat in a seat opposite of me, and after every bite, he would brush the crumbs off his jacket. I wanted to scream, "Can't you have one big, final, crumb-dusting at the end of your Jabba-the-Hutt-like mastication?" You know, instead of acting like the existing crumbs inbetween bites are like Space Invaders--the more time you allow them to cohabit your space, the more dangerous they get.

One woman nauseatingly ate a bag of chips with that crumple-crunch cycle (or CCC, or triple-C), and when she was done, I breathed a sigh of relief because I was about to go psycho. And then, maddeningly, like a Mario power-up (complete with the bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop!), she pulled out another freaking bag of pretzels! I'm quite sure people could hear the "Fuck!" yelled in my head.

By the way, I get up here to New York, bracing for the weather to be painfully cold by this time. But today's temperature is in the high forties; the city just went through a snow-less December for the first time in ages, which brings me to the topic of global warming, adding to a post KW wrote awhile back. My point of view on the whole thing is that if there's something that can be done about the environment, it should be done, regardless if global warming is perceived as a "grand hoax" or the thing that's definitely going to cover Manhattan with water in a few decades. BUT, one thing I've always found against the global warming scare is when they can find a statistic from the past that is comparable to now. Meaning, in the past, when there was no such thing as global warming, a snow-less December occurred. What caused that?

Other than those observations, it's the same ol'. Debt relief will soon be on its way with the tax return and car payments over, and I might be able to enjoy myself a bit, until I break my leg or something. Until then...

2 Comments:

At 1/12/2007 06:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

People eating on the train must be like people talking during a movie!! MUST KILL.........

OFF TOPIC BUT INTERESTING - Why is there a hadicapped symbol next to the word verification prompt. If you move the cursor over it, it states "Listen and type the number you hear". If you are handicapped and cant read the letters/numbers, how did you read the blog or find the prompt to respond? Just curious.

 
At 1/12/2007 06:33:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, that is interesting. It might be something Blogger has for specific sites that cater to handicapped people, and it doesn't distinguish between a handicapped-catering site and one that's not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home