Monday, September 26, 2005

Football Notes...

-I'm not sure what to say about the football season so far. Is it just me, or is this the shakiest season yet, not knowing how teams will play from week to week? Carolina and Minnesota are the poster-children for this - when they play on Oct. 30, either team could win by 20 and I wouldn't been surprised. I don't envy the gamblers this year.

-Was anyone else bored by the Pats-Steelers game yesterday? After a fast start, nothing much happened until the game's end. Just wondering.

-Speaking of shaky, what about the Louisville Cards? How do you lose to a bad South Florida team by that much? I think that their defense has gotten so bad that when they make a mistake on offense, they can't stop any repercussions. Don't give me any of the "Welcome to the Big East" crap, as they played USF last year and won 41-9.
The Cards are playing as two teams. In each of their first two wins, they played awful for a time and incredible for a while. In the first two games, the goodness simply lasted longer - in the case of the Kentucky game, it only lasted just long enough to barely win. Against Oregon State, bad play lasted half a quarter, but after being down 10-0 they scored the next 49 points. Against USF, they simply played bad for too long. They lost by 31 points despite out-gaining them. This is an odd football team.

-I foresee bad things happening tonight to UT at LSU. A shaky QB situation, an odd change of plans, a bad showing at Florida, and a fired up LSU team makes for an ugly loss, I'm afraid.

-I think the NFL is headed for a Detroit Pistons type upset in the Super Bowl. The Pats seem to be a bit less of a team than last year (especially with Rodney Harrison out for the season), and Pittsburgh looked suspect. I don't expect the Chiefs or the Colts to be world-beaters either. The field is ripe for an unexpected champion from the NFC.
But who? I think it will be a good team with a good coach, especially a coach that has been there before and knows what to expect. So I'm going with Gruden and the Bucs. Not that I think they are a dynamite team or anything, but a decent running game and a decent game plan can pull off a championship when you only need one win. No matter who wins, this year's champion is looking more and more like a winner by default.

-Next week's game between the Colts and the Titans is going to tell us a lot. The Colts offense has been pretty rough, but I think I speak for everyone in saying the Titans defense is pretty bad. I think that the Colts will break out and score some points, and McNair and company will continue to make some bad turnovers like they did yesterday. That pick in the Red Zone was so costly. If the Colts truly have an improved defense, they will hold the Titans to less than ten points, which I suspect will happen.

-Hey Chris, are you going to write about this? Since there's a decent chance you are going to be the one to real it up, I was curious if you knew about it and had any thoughts on the promotion. Anyone can see it for free if they promise to blog about it. I'm thinking they must believe this is a good film and want to spread the word of mouth, but I could be way off.

3 Comments:

At 9/26/2005 06:11:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

We have a screening of SERENITY on Wednesday night--I have heard nothing of the blogging encouragement except from EC. Print deliveries are often erratic and so I don't know if we'll be getting it tomorrow (a day before the screening) or two hours prior.

Sometimes we get the print a day before, but with locks on them. And we have to call Technicolor to get the combinations the next day. This all depends on how much the film company worries about piracy. With a movie like SERENITY, I expect we'll have the thing in tomorrow with no locks and therefore I can watch the damn thing.

 
At 9/26/2005 06:20:00 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Looking further into the situation, I have discovered that the September 28 screening at Hollywood 27 is indeed one that is open to the bloggers from Townhall.com. All the screenings are booked according to their site, but hopefully I can be a sneaky projectionist and see it before then. If not, I'll see it Wednesday night.

 
At 9/26/2005 06:47:00 PM, Blogger Jonathan said...

I have high hopes for "Serenity," being a browncoat and all. This truly could have been Whedon's best show. I don't know how you can top the first five seasons of "Buffy," but it was very possible. Boo on Fox for giving it that terrible Friday night timeslot.

I think it's a storyline that could translate very well to film. Unfortunately, the slew of test screening reviews I've already read say that it most likely won't appeal to a non-fan. And that would be too bad; I hope that is not true. If I have ever wanted a movie to be a huge hit and spawn a few sequels it would be this. I wanted that for "Spiderman" too, but any idiot knew that was going to be a huge hit.

My other concern is how Joss Whedon seems to be able to do very well with television, but not so much with film. "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (the movie), "Alien:Ressurection." Granted, he probably had little or no control on how those turned out, and with his obvious control over "Serenity," maybe this will be a different story.

I can't wait, and I'm praying for the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home